Monday, May 14, 2012

Vine Borers


The aliens have descended. Those horrible vine borers. My arch-nemesis from last summer. It decimated all of my zucchini plants before I knew what was happening. This year, I've been ready for them, inspecting plants every time I water. Well, they have arrived! And they have been removed wherever they've been found. I look for little holes along the bases of stems, slice it open (or cut off the occupied stem) and get rid of the horrid creatures. Death by stabbing, or food for the chickens. I feel somewhat triumphant in that I have at least already picked two zucchini from the plants and promptly grated them into a quiche. This pest was never seen on the west coast, so there were always jokes about what to do about all that zucchini! There was always way too much, and one plant was enough for a family of twenty. Well, maybe an exaggeration but not by much! This year I planted about ten zucchini, yellow squash, and lemon squash plants. In the Pacific NW this would have been incredibly ridiculous. Next year? Row covers, my friend. Until the end of May. Nice lovely row covers over my zucchini plants and all of their relations.

No comments:

Post a Comment